Need Broadband Planning, Access, or Utilization Help?Contact:
James Anderson, Community & Economic Development Educator
(715) 395-1547 or James.Anderson@ces.uwex.edu
On Wednesday, January 18th, 2017 UW-Extension in Douglas County hosted a broadband forum for town and village officials, providers, and interested citizens. If you were unable to join us, please find the resources we discussed here.
Materials Presented the Session:
- Session Agenda – Agenda 011817
- Session PowerPoint (what is broadband and creating change) – Douglas County Broadband Forum Presentation
- Douglas County Broadband Service Map (data provided by service providers) – CountyCoverage_Douglas
Questions for Exploration:
- Do you have gaps in your community where citizens cannot access Internet at usable speeds, or where no access exists?
- Would you like to see a competitor in your market?
- Who already services your market (if anyone)? What speeds are offered? Is it affordable?
- Does a county-wide or sub-area broadband workgroup(s) need to be formed in Douglas County?
How can UW-Extension Help?
UW-Extension at the local office and through the UW-Extension Broadband center can assist local communities with:
- Broadband needs assessments, including surveys to try and determine demand.
- Help to identify service providers, and act as a neutral convener to bring service providers and communities together.
- Attempt to aggregate demand to demonstrate that an adequate market exists for a provider to expand or enter the market.
- Assist with State of Wisconsin or Federal grant applications, when funding rounds are available.
- Assist a community with Wisconsin Broadband Forward community certification.
- Provide education, many resources are posted online – see links below.
- Broadband / Internet utilization educational programs, including: Internet and online security and safety, using social media, e-commerce, and other topics can be custom developed based on need.